Thursday, April 8, 2010

While I was at my library conference in Portland, I went to a restaurant called The Red Star Tavern and I pulled out my book to read. The waiter brought me the most delicious organic salad and a wonderful corn bread with lavender honey on it. When he came back and inquired about my meal, I held up my book and said "This book cover describes this meal perfectly. It makes me feel like I'm running through fresh spring grass, with a great castle behind me, under fluffy white clouds, while kissing someone in the sky." Yes, it was a really tasty lunch.

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith is a perfect spring read. The story takes place in the 1930's and follows seventeen year old Cassandra Mortmain, an aspiring writer who lives with her family in a dilapidated but charming castle set in the English countryside. The Mortmains have little money and Cassandra's sister Rose means to marry rich, but also hopes to find love. A chance encounter with two young gentlemen, who happen to be American and the new landlords, brings life and vigor to everyone in the family, and Cassandra discovers new emotions that cause both thrills and turmoil. And if you enjoy the book, definitely watch the film. The three words I would use to describe this book are delightful, delightful, delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment