Wednesday, April 28, 2010

 I used to drink tea in the morning. I added plenty of milk and sugar, but it started out as tea. Now I have several varieties of decaf in my cupboard that I like to drink at night because I find it very soothing before going to sleep. And one of the highlights of my trip to Victoria, British Columbia was attending the Afternoon Royal Tea at the Fairmont Empress Hotel. We were served a delicious blend of tea, and finger sandwiches and tiny pastries on a tiered tray. Oh yes, I felt quite fancy!

Author Laura Childs has created the The Tea Shop Mysteries, a darling series set in historic Charleston, South Carolina. The first book, Death by Darjeeling, introduces us to shop owner Theodosia Browning; tea expert Draton Conneley; and staffers Haley and Bethany. When a local land developer keels over after drinking a cup Theo's special tea, Theodosia searches for clues to clear her good name. The series continues in Gunpowder Green with her investigation of an unusual death at the annual Isle of Palms Yacht Race in Charleston Harbor. The books are cozy and culinary (tea recipes included!) light reading. The eleventh book, The Teaberry Strangler, just came out in March.

If you like cozies, Childs also writes Scrapbooking Mysteries, and The Cackleberry Club Mysteries which are set in a cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment