Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My Fair Julie


I have a great affinity for biographies and memoirs. Whether reading about a famous celebrity or a virtually unknown individual, I am always intrigued by what circumstances formed the personality and character of the featured person or group. And I love musicals (you were bound to find out sooner or later, trust me).

Detailing her childhood and rise to fame in England and on the Broadway stage, Julie Andrews pulls back the curtains on her life and lets us see her backstage story in Home: A Memoir of My Early Years. Hardly the Mary Poppins, Sound of Music life you would expect, Ms. Andrews recalls being a child during WWII in Britain, her parent's turbulent divorce, how her unexpected extraordinary singing voice was put to work supporting her family financially as a teen, and the early years of learning to be a consummate performer. Julie starred in My Fair Lady for two years - eight shows a week definitely teaches discipline!

And if you're a Broadway fan like me, I'd like to suggest the DVD of Broadway: The American Musical, hosted by Julie Andrews. Covering the years 1893-2004, the three discs feature fantastic songs and some truly amazing performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment