Friday, April 26, 2013

A few months ago, someone told me I should start watching Downton Abbey. The title was familiar to me from patrons and coworkers talking about it at the library so I thought why not? I like a good British period drama. What no one told me is that I would watch 2 seasons in less than 2 weeks! Set in the 1910's and 20's in the Yorkshire countryside, what's not to love about the saga of the aristocratic Crawley family, their (mostly) faithful servants and friends? If the soap operaesque relationships and situations don't get you, World War I and it's effects will.

The filming of Downton actually takes place at the remarkable Highclare Castle, where Lady Almina, 5th Countess of Carnarvon, lived. I would highly suggest checking out the book, audiobook or eBook of  Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by Fiona Carnavon, who is one of the current residents. It not only recounts Almina's life and accomplishments, but tells about how the people of the area were effected by WWI, and what it was like to actually be in the midst of that terrible conflict. For a look at things from the servants' point of view, try the book Below Stairs: The Classic Kitchen Maid's Memoir that Inspired "Upstairs, Downstairs" and "Downton Abbey" by Margaret Powell. And we now have Downton Abbey seasons 1, 2, and 3 available on DVD!



A weekend is a great time to read!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment