Wednesday, January 9, 2013

It's 2013 and I feel like I have so much stuff. Did anyone else make a resolution to get better organized? I mean, I like my knick knacks and brick-a-brack and am sure that having a plastic alien named Ted on my desk displays a piece of my personality. But perhaps the time has come to go through the stack of papers, consolidate all my information onto one calendar, and figure out if I really need that box (and it's contents) under my desk.

Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will Work for You was put together by professional organizers Sandra Felton and Marsha Sims and offers great ideas and plans to become more efficient. Like me, you probably realize that it's much easier and more productive to get things done when you know exactly where the items you need are right away (rather than knowing they're somewhere in the general area). Felton and Sims book has 24 chapters - read them all or just focus on the ones you think will be helpful. For me? Chapter 5: Handling Activity Clutter and Chapter 23: Organize Your Papers are my starting points. Let's see what a little more organization can do for me! If you have other books or ideas to recommend, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Leigh, this really makes me think. Do I need all this stuff at my desk? Sometimes I can't leave my cubicle without bumping into a box of craft supplies or knocking a video game off a cart or stepping on a poster. I always feel like getting organized pressures me to get organizational stuff, like desk organizers, planners, cute little boxes to keep things in, etc. But that would just be getting more stuff? Hmm.
    Do you have any suggestions for ways to keep organized in the digital world? Websites, book lists, online calendars, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eden-

    Felton has a website with good tips at http://www.messies.com/

    Co-author Marsha Sims is part of Sort it Out, Inc. They have a selection of free articles and tips that may prove valuable.
    http://www.sortitout.net/articles

    I use https://delicious.com to organize online information I want to keep track of. If I find anything else, I'll be sure to share.

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete