Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ok, I admit when I heard the title The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, my first thought was that there would be alot of talk about cows in the book. Guernsey cows. I wondered why people would be so enamored with a book about a dairy farm. Now that I've read the book, I discovered that's not what it's about at all- and in a good way!

The book is written by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (her niece) in a series of letters, and Guernsey refers to an island in the English Channel. Set just after World War II, writer Juliet Ashton has become popular with her book Izzy Bickerstaff Goes to War. She receives a letter from a man named Dawsey Adams who found her name in a used book, and a correspondence ensues. Juliet is intriguied by Dawsey's mention of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which turns out to be a group formed on the spur of the moment to avoid capture by the Germans. Letters from other society members follow, and Juliet is so intrigued by their stories that she goes to visit Guernsey, where she learns about their lives during the war, and how the literary society brought them together. With fewer cows than I expected, but lots of both humorous and meaningful moments, this book goes in my "what an enjoyable read" category!

No comments:

Post a Comment