Thursday, March 11, 2010

I spent a lot of money on comic books as a teenager. Anyone who knew me between ages 12-16 can confirm this. But the comics I read strayed away from the typical funnies, tending more toward adult characters and serious dialog that developed an engaging and sometimes emotional story.

Recently I picked up a graphic novel that reminded me of how well the use of pictures and writing can work together. Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi first interested me because Marjane and I grew up at the same time, both of us being 10 in 1980. However, while I was safe in Buffalo, she was growing up in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution. Forced to wear a black veil at school, her life becomes filled with true stories of torture and the horrors of war. With her parents, she protests for freedom and equality, but there are constant threats and danger is everywhere. Nikes and Iron Maiden posters provide a bit of teenage normality, but her world in Iran remains bleak. Featuring stark black and white illustration, Persepolis is harsh, strong, distinct, and connective.

Marjane's story continues in Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return, and there is also a highly lauded film version.

No comments:

Post a Comment