Thursday, February 18, 2010

I just got back from Florida and although it was too chilly for swimming, it was nice not to have to wade through the snow. Now I'm turning my focus towards what I consider to be a very important event: The Academy Awards! For me, I watch the Oscars like many people watch the Superbowl - I yell at the TV and have my own running commentary. And lots of snacks, of course.

This is a great time to check out not only the fabulous Oscar winning movies that are available on DVD, but also the the excellent and expressive novels from which so many of them were adapted. Here's a just a few of my personal favorites:


Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (1939 winner)
The African Queen by C.S. Forester (Best Adapted Screenplay nominee 1951)
The Graduate by Charles Webb (Best Adapted Screenplay nominee 1967)
The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Best Adapted Screenplay nominee 1985)
The Cider House Rules by John Irving (1999 winner)
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien (Best Adapted Screenplay nominee 2001)
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (2007 winner)

Check out the complete list of adapted screenplay winners and nominees on Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment