Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"Inconceivable!" Cried the Sicilian

So many books, so little time. This is a phrase that many of us are familiar with. At any given time, there are a dozen or so library books in various places in my house just waiting to be read; I own an abundance of books I haven't read yet so I can "browse" my own collection; and I can't wait for the next used book sale at the library (August 15-22 at Erlanger). Yes, I am a bookaholic.

But one book I have read and reread numerous times is The Princess Bride. Enchanting in it's film version, the book includes delightful details only describable by the printed word. The full title is The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure, the "Good Parts" Version Abridged by William Goldman. Goldman's father read him the tale as a young boy but left out all the boring historical and political details. The story as he knows is about Buttercup, the most beautiful woman in the world, and her true love Westley, the farm boy who will go to any lengths to be with her. They meet a cast of extraordinary and funny characters, including the evil Prince Humperdinck, swashbuckling Inigo, the mighty Fezzik, and Vizzini the Sicilian (see title above). This is definitely fantasy fiction at its best!

By the way, there's a secret about S. Morgenstern that Goldman plays beautifully throughout the book. Hmmmmm, what can it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment