Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It's a Bully of a Good Read!


"I know I was writing stories when I was five. I don't know what I did before that. Just loafed I suppose."
-P. G. Wodehouse

My first introduction to the world of Bertie Wooster and his "gentleman's gentleman" Jeeves was through the PBS television series. Appropriately titled Jeeves & Wooster, it stars Hugh Laurie (AKA Dr. House, MD) and Stephen Fry,and the first time I watched it, I laughed so hard I fell over! Fortunately, I was sitting on the floor at the time.

Wodehouse's books have also tickled my fancy. The first book featuring the dynamic duo is My Man Jeeves, but you can read them in any order. Try The Inimitable Jeeves, a series of humorous vignettes involving Bertie, Jeeves, the lovesick Bingo Little, and the strong-willed, rather scary Aunt Agatha. Or you can't go wrong with Right Ho, Jeeves, which highlights Bertie's friends Augustus "Gussie" Fink-Nottle, a fancier of newts, and the tactlessly funny Hildebrande "Tuppy" Glossop. There are 18 in the series, and Wodehouse has written a number of other books as well. Each book bottles dry humor, wry wit, and tons of fun!

2 comments:

  1. I have not yet read P.G. Wodehouse, I really really should. By the way Stephen Fry is an interesting writer in his own right and he blogs and tweets.
    What a great job you have, recommending books. It is quite easy to get stuck in a rut with the same authors and genres, how nice it would be to have someone set you on to some new treasures.
    I have enjoyed visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh,

    Wodehouse is great. Thanks for mentioning the PBS series. I didn't know it was out there.

    Mike Key, fellow librarian at Scott County Public Library

    ReplyDelete